Humans are not the only ones who love marijuana. From large predators, like mites and caterpillars, to tiny microorganisms, such as mould and bacteria, there’s a ton of species that also know how to appreciate the benefits of good cannabis. Unfortunately, though, this means that you need to protect your plants from all kinds of dangers. But if you grow pest- and disease-resistant seeds, you’ll be much more likely to be successful in your growing venture.
These insects, mould, invertebrates, creepy crawlies, or whichever way you want to call them, cause nothing but misery when they attack a cannabis grow. They can literally destroy a large and healthy plant in just a matter of days. However, some cannabis strains are genetically better than others when it comes to resisting the appearance of many types of marijuana pests. This means that they’re especially useful if you grow outdoors or want to avoid the use of chemical pesticides.
Out in the open, spores and insects can be found everywhere. Indoors, they can get in if growers let them in, so prevention and meticulous cleaning are both key factors in dealing with these unwanted guests.
There are many steps you can follow to create an effective pest control system for your marijuana plants. These include the use of biological insecticides, proper ventilation, or suitable spacing between the plants. Nonetheless, the easiest way to keep these annoying guests at bay starts by growing pest- and disease-resistant seeds. Although these genetics aren’t immune to all types of threats, they can often tolerate a larger number of infestations without suffering any harmful effects.
How does cannabis defend itself from pests and diseases?
Before spraying your grow with toxic chemical pesticides, consider growing hardier seeds which produce plants that can naturally deter these dangers. Cannabis is capable of producing a wide range of volatile substances, such as terpenes, which can either attract or repel insects. Pest-resistant strains have been selectively bred for many generations to produce a higher concentration of the chemical compounds that reduce these risks.
In evolutionary terms, cannabis has also developed direct and indirect defence mechanisms to protect itself. An example of these are trichomes, which are physical barriers that act as direct morphological defences of the plants. In addition, these glands produce, store, and secrete secondary metabolites which have antibiotic and repellent effects. Interestingly, they can also negatively affect insects by trapping them or hindering their movement on the surface of the plant.
Why do pests attack cannabis?
Pests are organisms seeking to feed and reproduce. Due to its aroma and flavour, cannabis is an attractive plant for them: these creatures can detect, and are attracted to, the chemical compounds of marijuana. Therefore, the cannabis plant can become an important source for their diet, especially for the sap-sucking species.
Indoor growing is also a scenario where pests may attack cannabis. Indoor grows are closed, warm, and humid environments which can promote the proliferation of insects and mites, as well as of many fungal diseases that find this type of setting to be the perfect breeding ground.
What’s more, the use of fertilisers and pesticides can have a negative effect on the immune system of cannabis plants, making them more vulnerable to pests and diseases. If the plant is not strong enough or doesn’t have enough defence mechanisms, she can be attacked more easily.
Finally, a lack of care or hygiene in your grow can certainly also increase the presence of pests in your cannabis plants. For instance, if dead plant remains aren’t removed from the area, or if the grow tools aren’t cleaned properly, they can easily transfer problems from one plant to another.
Pest- and disease-resistant cannabis strains by Kannabia
Pest-resistant cannabis strains are often developed through natural selection or crossbreeding processes, by choosing the strongest plants for reproductive purposes to create a new generation of strains with greater defence capacity.
At Kannabia, the intensive work of our breeders in the search for these phenotypes has led to the creation of some of the best pest-resistant varieties that you can find on the market. These include:
- Afrodite: There’s no way anyone’s going to knock this all-rounder down either indoors or outdoors, where she’s especially generous with changes in the weather. In addition to being incredibly easy to grow, this beauty is extremely resistant to pests.
- Amnesia Dream XL Auto: like all automatics, this strain has a short life cycle. This means that she has no time to be affected by some of the marijuana diseases that may appear in more advanced stages of growth.
- Cherry Dream: a strain that is self-sufficient against insects, with white fly-resistant seeds. Her buds are really compact and as hard as stones, but this doesn’t mean that you’ll have to worry about botrytis.
- Gelato-K: this is one of the most productive plants you’re ever going to find. She oozes trichomes on even the largest leaves, offering a significant advantage when dealing with creeping insects.
- Cookies Haze: these seeds are resistant to aphids, red spiders, and bud rot. It’s no wonder they’re such a popular choice amongst outdoor growers from the wettest regions of the world.
- Gnomo Auto: her incredibly vigorous growth, together with her great strength and high resistance to infestations and humidity changes, all reaffirm her excellent value for all types of growers.
- Hellfire OG: a sticky layer of resin gives this plant a frosty look during the flowering. In addition, she has an excellent tolerance to high temperatures, and can withstand heat waves as though she’d been born in hell itself.
- Mimosa Dream: her high limonene count makes her especially useful to scare pests away. These can identify limonene as potentially toxic, which may discourage them from getting too close.
- Mikromachine Auto: it doesn’t matter where you grow this strain (whether in a grow tent, a greenhouse, or directly in the soil). Thanks to her rich arsenal of defensive chemical compounds, she’s highly shielded from even the worst surprise attacks.
- Monkey Grease: this Cookies&Cream X Gorilla Glue hybrid definitely meets the expectations of any grower. But we thought we would add higher resistance to this mix by crossing her with the legendary White Widow… and rest assured we got what we were looking for!
- Pineapple Dream: another very stable strain whose Skunk lineage leads to rot-resistant seeds which produce plants that are ideal for high humidity environments, despite having incredibly dense buds.
- Purple Dream Auto: a forgiving plant that is particularly resistant to fungi. This means that everyone who chooses to try their luck with this strain will quickly get lots of buds without any hassle.
- Strawberry Haze Auto: a strain that’s used to all the obstacles and enemies that the grower can come across, so she always comes out on top. If this is the first time you intend to grow a plant like this, you’re already halfway there.
- White Domina: her dense colas are covered in a thick layer of trichomes that work overtime to pump phytochemical-rich resin which forces pests to find a better place.
Last but not least, please remember: life can be mysterious and brutal; and, unfortunately, this also applies to cannabis growing. You may be the most experienced grower the world has ever known, but a marijuana pest can always affect your grow to the point of having to abort the mission and start all over again. So, if you’re having trouble with constant infestations, a pest-resistant variety by Kannabia may be the solution that you’re looking for.
A bestiary to protect your grow
You can now also download our spectacular Bestiary of Cannabis Pests if you want to learn more about the many enemies that could be lurking around your grow. From voracious thrips to sap-thirsty broad mites, each species is portrayed in great detail in this masterpiece that is illustrated in the medieval style. Get your downloadable copy now so you can get to know these organisms from a truly original perspective!